real estate agency tarragona

Tax return rental property Spain by accountant gestoría2 min read

As a landlord of a property you have to file a tax return for the rental of the property. It concerns income tax for non-Spaniards (IRNR). Have you recently rented out your property? Then look for a good accountant, in Spanish: gestoria, who can help you with this. Every quarter you pay taxes on the net rental income via a form. You have to take the initiative to file the tax return and can do this yourself or through an accountant.

What is important to pay attention to?

  • When renting out, whether temporarily or for a longer period, you pay 19% on the rental income to the Spanish tax authorities (hacienda);
  • Costs made for the rented property are deductible. Think of maintenance costs, electricity, water, property tax (IBI), environmental tax (basura), and landlord costs (professional rental company, costs of rental contract, cleaning company, costs for promotion of the property). Note: the costs are deductible in the proportion that you rent out the property, so if you rent out the property for 100 days, 50/365 of the costs are deductible;

How does it work

You can file a tax return yourself after installing a digital certificate.

Our advice is to outsource this to an accountant, or gestor. After you have authorised this body, it can take care of your quarterly declaration. And let you know which rules apply specifically to you, and which costs you can deduct for tax purposes. Unless you choose a very expensive Spanish accountant where the costs and benefits are perhaps less in proportion, you will actually always get the investment out of it. Not only can you be sure that your tax returns are correct, but your accountant will also have some good ideas on how to minimise the tax you have to pay.

Do you live on the Costa Daurada and do you need an accountant? Please mail to when you want to make your first declaration, which property it is and what exactly you are looking for. We will bring you in contact with an accountant who can help you with this, and let you know the rates. If you wish to be assisted in Dutch, this is also possible. The declaration and communication is done online, but if you wish you can also meet the accountant at his office (in Tarragona or Barcelona).


Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on email

We open doors for you

Explore more information